Welcome to Reflections!
Region Reflections Chair:
Please use Unit/Council code in subject line of emails.
The Reflections Program is a National PTA and New York State PTA cultural arts competition that gives students confidence in their abilities to explore ideas and learn through the arts!
The purpose of this program is to provide an opportunity for students to use their creative talents by expressing themselves through their own original works.
Each year thousands of students in preschool through grade 12 create and submit original works. Students here in New York participate in Reflections through their school’s PTA. Students may develop an entry inside or outside of school. A student may submit an entry in any of six listed arts categories. They are listed below
The 2018-2019 theme “Heroes Around Me” will spark imagination and creativity in school and at home. We are looking forward to seeing who the Heroes Around Me are through their piece of artwork and their artist statement. At the same time, you can encourage your school to imagine, create and celebrate with Reflections during National Arts & Humanities Month this October.
Art categories are:
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
The age divisions are:
- Primary (Pre-K-Grade 2)
- Intermediate (Grades 3-5)
- Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- High School (Grades 9-12)
- Special Artist (All Grades)
National Arts in Education Week
Encourage Local PTAs to enroll and have fun announcing this year’s theme. Share how Reflections sparks interest in the arts with #ArtsEdWeek.
National Arts and Humanities Month
Encourage Local PTAs to host opportunities for all students to participate in Reflections. Share how Reflections supports learning fun in school and at home with #ShowYourArt.
Units drop off their winners to the Region Chair person. Locations and dates will be announced. Each school can advance 2 winners to the Region level.
WEPR PTA’s Reflection Celebration will be held. Location and date will be announced. We have a reception to highlight and celebrate our winners.
Our PTA/PTSA would like to run a Reflections Program, how do we start?
The first step is enrolling your PTA on the National PTA’s Reflection Program, click here.
It will ask for:
- PTA Name
- National PTA code (can be search online for)
- PTA Mailing Address
- Region (Westchester East Putnam)
- Council (you can choose none)
- Contact Information (for the Reflections Chair)
- Is this your first year running Reflections (yes or no)
- Which art categories and divisions your program will offer
- School Name
- School Size (Small – less than 500, Medium 501-999, Large – over 1000)
- Is your school a Title One school?
Click submit and you are done. You are ready to start your program. You can find Leader Guide and the Reflections Chair Planner at the NYS PTA Reflections page. There webinar trainings and Powerpoint listed. The Official Rules are there plus the rules broken down into each category.
TIP: If you are just starting out and all 6 categories seem overwhelming, just start with one or two and build on from there. There is nothing wrong with building a program. Too many times people try to everything and then abandon the program the next year because it was too much.
Make sure to read over the Entry Requirements and Rules:
- Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the current year’s theme may be submitted
- Each entry must be the original work of one student only. An adult may not alter the creative integrity of a student’s work. Because the program is designed to encourage and recognize each student’s individual creativity, help from an adult or collaboration with other students is not allowed except in the Special Artist Division. Other individuals may appear in or perform a student’s work, but the work itself must be the creative product of one student only. Only one student may be recognized as the award recipient for each entry. See the specific arts category rules and special artist division rules for details at the NYS PTA Reflections Page.
- Each entry must contain a title and all entries must include an artist statement. The artist statement communicates what inspired the work, how it relates to the theme, and the content of the work. The statement must include at least 10 words and not exceed 100 words.
- Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, except for background music in dance choreography and film production entries. If used in dance choreography and film production entries, background music must be cited on the entry form. Plagiarized entries will be disqualified. Use of Powerpoint templates are prohibited.
National PTA Reflections Theme Search is On!
Students’ shaping the direction for each Reflections program year is one of National PTAs greatest points of pride.
Each year, National PTA challenges students from across the country to submit theme ideas for the Reflections program. The student who submits the winning entry receives a cash award and his/her theme is used as the foundation for the Reflections program in a following year.
National PTA is looking for the 2019-2020 Reflections Program Theme.
Is your PTA challenging students to submit ideas to the National PTA Theme Search Contest?
Deadline: October 26, 2018