Welcome to Reflections!
Region Reflections Chair: Mireille St. Armand
Please use Unit/Council code (18- ***) and name in the subject line of emails.
The Reflections Program is a National PTA and New York State PTA cultural arts competition that gives students confidence in their abilities to explore ideas and learn through the arts!
The purpose of this program is to provide an opportunity for students to use their creative talents by expressing themselves through their own original works.
Each year thousands of students in preschool through grade 12 create and submit original works. Students here in New York participate in Reflections through their school’s PTA. Students may develop an entry inside or outside of school. A student may submit an entry in any of six listed arts categories. They are listed below:
Art categories are:
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
The age divisions are:
- Primary (Pre-K-Grade 2)
- Intermediate (Grades 3-5)
- Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- High School (Grades 9-12)
- Special Artist (All Grades)
Our PTA/PTSA would like to run a Reflections Program, how do we start?
The first step is enrolling your PTA on the National PTA’s Reflection Program, click here.
It will ask for:
- PTA Name
- National PTA code (can be search online for)
- PTA Mailing Address
- Region (Westchester East Putnam)
- Council (you can choose none)
- Contact Information (for the Reflections Chair)
- Is this your first year running Reflections (yes or no)
- Which art categories and divisions your program will offer
- School Name
- School Size (Small – less than 500, Medium 501-999, Large – over 1000)
- Is your school a Title One school?
Click submit and you are done. You are ready to start your program. You can find Leader Guide and the Reflections Chair Planner at the NYS PTA Reflections page. There webinars and PowerPoint listed. The Official Rules are there plus the rules broken down into each category.
TIP: If you are just starting out and all 6 categories seem overwhelming, just start with one or two and build on from there. There is nothing wrong with building a program. Too many times people try to everything and then abandon the program the next year because it was too much.
Second step is to fill in the Student Entry form.
Student Entry Form
Every Reflections entry needs to have a Student Entry Form with it. Please write legibly the information on the form will be used to send certificates and invites to celebration if the entry advances. It is important to have both the parent and student signatures on the Form. Younger students may just right their first name (just do the best that they can.) The Artist Statement is 10 -100 words and is part of the judging process. This is a great place to talk about the artist’s inspiration and it’s significant to them.
Reglas de Reflexion
Make sure to read over the Entry Requirements and Rules:
- Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the current year’s theme may be submitted
- Each entry must be the original work of one student only. An adult may not alter the creative integrity of a student’s work. Because the program is designed to encourage and recognize each student’s individual creativity, help from an adult or collaboration with other students is not allowed except in the Special Artist Division. Other individuals may appear in or perform a student’s work, but the work itself must be the creative product of one student only. Only one student may be recognized as the award recipient for each entry. See the specific arts category rules and special artist division rules for details at the NYS PTA Reflections Page.
- Each entry must contain a title and all entries must include an artist statement. The artist statement communicates what inspired the work, how it relates to the theme and the content of the work. The statement must include at least 10 words and not exceed 100 words.
- Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, except for background music in dance choreography and film production entries. If used in dance choreography and film production entries, background music must be cited on the entry form. Plagiarized entries will be disqualified. Use of PowerPoint templates are prohibited.
Advancing Entries to Region Level – Click here
In December, it’s time to advance winning entries to WEPR. Entries advance to New York State on January 14th. WEPR needs time to qualify, judge entries and send them by the January 14th deadline. Click above to see dates and information.
Sept. 13 – 19
National Arts in Education Week
Encourage Local PTAs to enroll and have fun announcing this year’s theme. Share how Reflections sparks interest in the arts with #BecauseOfArtsEd.
National Arts and Humanities Month
Encourage Local PTAs to host opportunities for all students to participate in Reflections. Share how Reflections supports learning fun in school and at home with #ShowYourArt.
January 5, 2022
Unit entries are due to Region for judging.
January 14, 2022
WEPR sends region winners to New York State for state judging.
March 1, 2022
NYS PTA sends State winners for National PTA judging.
May 1, 2022
National PTA winners are announced.